Remotive is a remote job board founded in 2014 by Rodolphe Dutel and based in France. The site is relatively easy-to-use with more than 1,000+ remote jobs. Job seekers have access to basic search functionality and job categories.
Employers can post jobs and set up basic company profiles and manage or renew job listings from a basic dashboard.
The pricing structure for Remotive is very expensive and it is easy to be misled by their pricing structure. Job posts start at $299, but expensive add-ons are already pre-selected by default and can quickly skyrocket for basic features like displaying your logo (an extra $99!) and social media + email placements. They also have a predatory auto-renewal on by default, so you have to remember to cancel the job or you'll get charged twice.
Remotive have been around since 2014 and have built a decent Twitter audience (@remotiveio) of ~20k followers, plus a Slack community and a large email newsletter. However, Remotive charges extra for access to these when you post a job. Sharing in Slack and 2 social media shares costs an additional $59 and a featured email placement is an additional $49.
Email to subscribers
Shared on social media
The site is simple and easy-to-use for job seekers, but is missing some critical features for job seekers. For example, job seekers can't filter search results by the timezone they're in or filter by the type of work (full time, contractor etc.) or salary ranges. The layout of the home page also makes it difficult to view the most recent job listings because they're grouped into categories by default.
When researching companies, company profiles are very limited with a short about and social links. There's no information about the company cultures, perks and benefits, or their tech stack information which encourages job seekers to leave the site to look elsewhere.
The employer dashboard is basic, but lacks basic functionality. For example, employers have to input their company info, upload a logo etc. every time they post a job, rather than just managing their company information via their dashboard. Without these basic functionalities, it kind of makes having the employer dashboard redundant in the first place.
Email to subscribers
Shared on social media
Organized by category
Time zone filters
Job type filters
Tech stack information
Employee benefits & perks
Remotive is expensive. Very expensive. While it's been around since 2014 and obviously well-established, we're not sure they can justify their pricing structure as the site is lacking basic functionality and filters for job seekers, making it difficult to find jobs that are relevant. The site's layout makes it difficult to view the most recent job listings because they're grouped into categories by default, with very few filtering features to find jobs in your specific timezone or country.
Back to pricing. Posting a job starts at $299 and can easily skyrocket to $1,244 for a single post. Displaying your company logo, which should be a basic feature, is an additional $99 right from the start. Your $299 job listing is now $398!
Here are a few examples:
- Highlight your job post and share it in Slack and 2x on social media (+$59)
- All of the above + display company logo (+$99)
- All of the above + pin ad 7 days on main page (+$149)
- Featured email placement (+$49)
- Highlight with company's brand color (+$299)
- Pin to top of main page (+$149 to $448)
Buried in their FAQs, Remotive mentions in they offer up to 40% discounts for bulk job postings. There isn't much transparency here on what qualifies for this or how their discounts are tiered. To access this information, you need to email their team. For hiring managers in a hurry, this could be pretty annoying.
- Well-established site and has been around since 2014
- Super simple site for job seeker
- Ability to import jobs from ATS (Greenhouse, Lever etc.)
- Basic company profiles to see all jobs by company
- "Hide US-only jobs" toggle
- Ability to edit jobs after posting them
- Job posting plans include add-on options, like highlighting posts and adding custom brand colors
- For an additional $59, job listings are distributed to Google Jobs Network and other partners
- Website can be hard to navigate for job seekers and basic search and filter features are noticeably missing
- Keyword search doesn’t always work smoothly and returns unexpected jobs
- Expensive job postings
- Slightly childish branding may not be a good fit for some companies
- Their job listing "auto renew" after 30 days and you have to turn this off before you're charged twice
- All higher-visibility add-ons are charged extra
- "Pinned" jobs dominate search results, even if they aren't relevant to what job seekers are searching for
- Basic features, such as adding a company logo to your job post are an additional cost
- Their pricing structure automatically selects add-ons which inflates the price from the start
- Even with the most expensive add-ons, job postings are limited to 2x social media posts
- No ability to choose job type when posting (e.g. full-time or contract)
- No information on company tech stacks
- No information on company perks and benefits
- Even with an employer account, hiring manager have to add their company information each time they post a new job
- Not much transparency on overall site traffic
There are not many reviews of Remotive online, but it's clear that they're well established and have been around for years. They've relied heavily upon Product Hunt launches in the past with mostly positive responses.
We're a little wary though. Their website boasts they're used by Stripe, Square, Shopify, and Zapier. However, if you search for any of these companies or jobs from these companies you get "No matching remote companies".